Out with the old, in with the new
Though not the strongest of fight nights, UFC Fight Night: Holland v Thomson plays host to a small collection of engaging fights. Most noticeably these matchups take place between some of our favourite big name fighters, and lesser known up and comers.
Violence at first sight
Glancing over the card, these fights jump off the page:
- Kevin Holland vs Stephen Thomson
- Rafael Dos Anjos vs Bryan Barbarena
- Tia Tuivasa vs Sergei Pavlovich
- Jack Hermansson vs Roman Dolidze
- Niko Price vs Philip Rowe
- Michael Johnson vs Marc Diakiese
- Darren Elkins vs Jonathan Pearce
There are other enticing fights though, so lets delve into some fighter stats.
The stats: UFC Fight Night: Holland vs Thomson
The Big Winners & Fighters With the Most to Win
The average win rate for our fighters is 76.07%, with two fighters coming in undefeated, keep an eye on these fighters and see if they can keep their perfect records:
- Yazmin Jauregui – 23 year old strawweight from Mexico, undefeated in amateur and pro, holds an impressive 67% knockout ratio in 9 victories. This is her second fight in the UFC so she’s proven herself on the world stage. Can she establish her position as a potential strawweight title contender?
- Francis Marshall – DWCS alumni Francis Marshall is a submission grappler, undefeated in 6 fights as a pro. 4 submissions see him with a 67% finish rate. He has an incredibly weak resumé of victories, many opponents with losing records. His UFC debut is tough, facing off against Marcelo Rojo, however, Rojo is very susceptible to being submitted.
- Sergei Pavlovich – A decisive victory over Tuivasa could see Pavlovich fighting the HW top 3 real soon.
- Roman Dolidze – A victory over Middleweight gatekeeper Jack Hermansson will skyrocket Dolidze’s stock.
Fighters With the Most to Lose
- Michael Johnson – 1-5 in his last 6, Johnson is a perfect coinflip fighter, but could risk being cut if he loses against the lower opposition in Marc Diakiese.
- Scott Holtzman – Returning from a 2 year layoff, Holtzman looks to break a two fight losing streak against Clay Guida. The UFC is unpredictable and a third loss in a row after such time off could spell a bad future with the promotion.
- Tai Tuivasa – Only 3 months after losing in spectacular fashion to Ciryl Gane, Tuivasa steps in against Russian juggernaut Sergei Pavlovich. A decisive loss could see Tuivasa demoted to the middle of the heavyweight rankings.
- Stephen Thomson – Although granted a main event spot, Thomson is on a two fight skid. These losses are to the best in the division, and Holland is a step down. A loss to Holland would destroy all hopes of one last title run for Wonderboy as he approaches 40 years of age.
- Eryk Anders – Almost positive Anders gets cut from the roster with another loss.
The Most Exciting Fights
Two fighters bring 100% finish rates into their fights. Philip Rowe (9 wins, 5 ko/tko, 4 sub) brings the heat against Niko Price (also 87% finish rate). Genaro Valdez (10 wins, 7 ko/tko, 3 sub) battles Natan Levy.
In 475 total combined victories, UFC on ESPN 42 fighters boast a 64.4% finish rate (194 knockouts, 110 submissions).
Tai Tuivasa vs Sergei Pavlovich
It’s inconceivable this fight goes the distance. Two giant stand n’ bangers with dynamite in their fists. Tuivasa boasts 13 knockouts in 14 victories. Pavlovich also has 13 knockouts in 16 wins. Also a fun fact: All of Pavlovich’s knockouts happened in the first round.
Roman Dolidze vs Jack Hermansson
Dolidze has shown a renewed sense of urgency in his fights, and now he’s a seek and destroy type fighter. Hermansson is capable on the feet, but even more dangerous on the ground.
Darren Elkins vs Jonathan Pearce
Two incredibly high output, gritty fighters. Darren ‘The Danger’ Elkins is still a dangerous force even outside of his prime years. Does he have it takes to derail Jonathan Pearce, an equally ruthless pressure fighter?
Fights Going Under the Radar
Angela Hill vs Emily Ducote
Fan favourite Angela Hill is back again. Plagued by razor thin decision losses, Hill is back with something to prove. She faces the decently well-rounded Emily Ducote.
Matt Schnell vs Matheus Nicolau
It’s the battle of the Matts! Nicolau is on a tear right now, winning 5 in a row. Meanwhile, Matt Schnell is coming off of one of the most exciting fights of 2022 versus Su Mudaerji.
UFC Fight Night: Holland vs Thomson – Final Verdict
|JUST BLEED SCORE – UFC ON ESPN 42|
According to the fight score, UFC on ESPN 42 scores a 70.25% JUST BLEED Rating. Just eking out of the 60% region, this fight card is carried by some very exciting finishers, and high caliber fighters. It’s worth a watch!
This is the perfect fight night to introduce your friends to MMA. you have finishers, grapplers, WMMA, karate strikers, personalities, and more.
MMA obsessed, student of Muay Thai, Boxing, and Kickboxing.
Owner: The Fight Fanatic
Email me for enquiries (guest posting, writing opps)